Monday, May 11, 2009

May 11th

In deference to the guy who doesn't want so much pink showing on his screen while reading my blog, I have changed layout and colours. Thank-you for my morning laugh, David.

It is Jessamine's 11th birthday today. Yesterday her Auntie Heather and Auntie Bernadette (also known as Uncle Bernie) came for a quick Mother's Day visit. They brought tulips and lemon cream cake. We spent as much time out in the lovely May sunshine as we could. Because her aunt and uncle were here, we presented her birthday presents to her yesterday. She was given some little sun catchers for her bedroom, a pair of capris (when did we stop calling them pedal-pushers?), the newest Taylor Swift CD, a soccer ball and a croquet set.

The big events of this week will be the concerts given by Canadian Idol finalist Martin Kerr, in our home and in Whitelaw School on Wednesday night and Thursday afternoon, respectively, the girls' piano recital on Thursday night, and then Jessa's official birthday celebration on Friday.
Meanwhile I have loads of work I'm supposed to be doing for bookkeeping and tax clients, and I promised to bring a couple of cakes in at noon for her class so the whole class can have some birthday cake.

We had a wonderful Ridvan celebration at my sister's house in FSJ on May 2nd, with Baha'is from here, Grande Prairie and Dawson Creek attending for prayers, lots of good food, and a nature walk through the Fish Creek Community Forest. The path was still icy and I almost fell several times. I visited with Carolyn of Dawson Creek on most of the walk. Her daughter, Raquel, is trying to go on a youth year of service in Chad, in August or September. Carolyn was telling me that she asked someone who had lived in Africa for a number of years if she would go back, and the woman's response was, "Oh, I would never go to Africa."

This made me think about if someone were to ask me if I would ever go to Belize. My initial response would likely be something similar, although I learned long ago never to say never. However, the truth of the matter is, even if *I* have no desire to return to Belize, I would not presume to suggest whether someone else should. Who am I to say that it isn't just what someone else needs? I think after almost five years back in Canada, I can give a fairly objective response to someone looking to travel to or do service in Belize. It isn't all peaches and cream, although most people think it is for the first few months, but neither is it hell on earth, much as it felt that way for the last few years for me. It is a place like most others - it has its pros and its cons. I suppose it all depends on what one wants.

The day before we went to the Ridvan celebration, my darling little Jessa dropped a table on her foot while helping to clean up at school. There were left over treats from an important visit, and her teacher tried to ply her with treats to make her feel better. Jessa thought that was funny, and assured him it was not necessary. He also praised her for being his best helper. I had to go pick her up from school because she could not even hobble home, so I brought Aislinn with me, who had the day off of school, and piggy-backed Jessa into the car, leaving Aislinn to walk home with Meadow when school was let out a half-hour later. Aislinn was delighted to visit with her friends among the staff from last year while waiting for her little sister.

Jessa's foot is still bruised and sensitive, but she has managed to do more than I would have given her credit for only a couple of years ago. When she was little, every bump and bruise received a great outcry. But as I said to Mr. P., her teacher, "My wimp is no longer a wimp." He said, "Jessa's not a wimp!" I said, "Not anymore, she's not." Jessa is turning into an interesting, vibrant, happy, intelligent, helpful and compassionate young lady, at only 11.

Well, I better go get ready to take the cake over to the school.

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment