Friday, May 15, 2009

Life Happens

Well, the Martin Kerr concerts were wonderful and exhausting. Martin sings everything from children's songs to pop songs with uplifting messages to everybody's favorites, like the Alleluya song from Shrek. One of the teachers at the school commented that his rendition of that gave her goosebumps, and another said he made her cry. I was so glad to be able to arrange his performances and visit with him myself a little. Anyone interested in learning more about him and his music, or perhaps scheduling a concert or two can look up all the info on his website: www.martinkerrmusic.com.

After the concert yesterday, Jovani asked me to go to the school with him while he coached soccer. He does a good job of that and the children all respond to him well. He's got some good soccer players there too.

Then we took the girls to their piano recital last night, and all three did us proud. Aislinn swore she was not ready but played beautifully.

I was so tired I left Jovani to put the girls to bed. Then we had a lazy morning this morning but eventually got up to get ready for the arrival of four of Jessa's friends for her birthday celebration. Shortly before noon, Aislinn came in to tell me that Sushi got out of the house and she went chasing after her down the street, only to try calling her when she went into someone's yard. That someone was holding Sushi and not letting her go. He told her that he would come and talk to us later. Aislinn knew better than to go into a stranger's yard and try to grab Sushi away, so she ran home to tell me what had happened. I had a very bad feeling about it. I asked Jovani to go deal with it, so he went to see what was going on.

It seems that this couple believes Sushi to be their Maggie, a pure-bred Shih-tzu. They say they have the papers to prove it. Jovani explained how we found her and that we had been through all the necessary legal processes to adopt her, to which he received the reply that they didn't care about any of that, she's their dog and we can bring the RCMP or whoever we want, but they aren't giving up the dog.

Jovani spoke courteously and said that he would have to call the by-law officer, and came home. I called the by-law officer who helped us adopt the dog, and we are now waiting for him to come over to deal with the matter.

I am of two minds. The attitude of these people is unnecessary. Had they come looking for her - I've walked past their house with Sushi many, many times, as it is on the way to the school - and produced proof that the dog was theirs before we adopted her, I would have handed over the dog. Reluctantly, because she had obviously been badly neglected, but I would not have argued. However, suddenly laying claim to the dog six months after she's gone missing, when they could have approached us any time, asking if we'd found a Shih-tzu - well, it just isn't right. But neither do I want to respond in kind. 'Abdu'l-Baha says not only that we are supposed to forgive people who do us wrong instantly, but "If they poison your lives, sweeten their souls." I have no desire to get into a major battle with my neighbour over a dog, much as I am very, very fond of that dog. If I felt certain she would be well cared for I doubt I would make any waves even if the dog is legally ours. But she was scrawny, filthy and miserable when we found her. How can I just let her go back to such people?

So, we wait for the by-law officer to take care of the matter, and meanwhile I am missing my tail. Sushi followed me everywhere, just waiting for me to sit down so she could jump on my lap. She ran out of the house on one of the few occasions that she wasn't with me. No doubt it will be hardest when I go to sleep tonight and she's not right up on the bed at my back.

I'm a little sad today.

No comments:

Post a Comment